Brad's Reviews > Runaways, Vol. 7: Live Fast

Sep 07, 07

bookshelves: comics, marvel, teenagers
Recommended for: fans of Brian K. Vaughan and early Claremont X-Men
Read in September, 2007

Series creators Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona do a great job wrapping up their run on Runaways. The first three issues (illustrated by Mike Norton) have the team fight a mystical monster that's destroying all buildings built in the last 20 years in L.A. In the last three issues, the team fights to 0stop Chase from making a deal with the devil (make that Gibborim) from reviving a recently killed teammate.
The Runaways are such a great idea for teen superheroes (they band together to clean up the mess their parents made), and Vaughan has introduced several great characters in the second volume. I really like Xavin, the Super Skrull, and how the whole team is pretty much okay with how the shapeshifter switches between being male and female.
Alphona's unique, smooth art style is wedded to this team in my mind, so I'll probably miss him leaving the book more than Vaughan (who's being replaced by Joss Whedon.)
I do love Vaughan's dialogue, and have to quote this line from Chase, which mentions public radio:
"My mom would turn up her NPR downstairs so she couldn't hear me crying while her husband beat me until I passed out."
See, NPR brings families together!
Continuity note: Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways happens between issues 21 and 22. Vaughan mentions the only important piece of plot that comes out of the book--Victor got roughed up by some of the troops the teams fought.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Runaways, Vol. 7.