Julie Davis's Reviews > The Bones of the Old Ones

The Bones of the Old Ones by Howard Andrew Jones

Apr 08, 13

Read from April 06 to 07, 2013

This is the highly enjoyable sequel to the excellent Desert of Souls (my review here). I really enjoyed it and if Goodreads allowed half-stars the rating would 4.5.

Asim and Dabir are pulled into adventure when a young woman (Najya) begs them for help escaping kidnappers. The kidnappers have some very strange powers and the young woman seems to have been put under a spell. Investigating how the spell and how to shake the kidnappers propel our heroes into realms resplendent with sorcery, old gods, giant battles, and much more. And there's a flying carpet. That made me very happy.

If someone crossed The Arabian Nights with Robert E. Howard, you'd have Bones of the Old. Asim is a captain of the guard. Dabir is a knowledgable scholar. The classic mixture of brawn and brains are well paired again as the two friends encounter old enemies and solve puzzles from mythical times while traveling through the ancient Arabian desert, albeit one covered with snow.

It is a well-told adventure that I read in 24-hours. It was more of a straight-forward rescue tale than Desert of Souls and, for that reason, I docked it a half star. But that half star is a small one.

I wish these were available as audio books because they are right down SFFaudio's alley and I'd love to have a read along about them. (hint, hint)

However, for those of us who don't mind actual reading, my advice is to get both books and waste no time in jumping feet-first into adventure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bones of the Old Ones.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome Hmm, thanks for the recommendation. I haven't read the first one.

message 2: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Ordover Neither have I. Is it a neccesary prerequisite?

message 3: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome Hmm looks like we all got the recommendation. Sorcery?

Julie Davis The magic of ancient Arabia reached out to you through the air.

The first book is not a prerequisite but you'll be depriving yourself of a lot if you don't read it. So very enjoyable!

message 5: by Fr. Kyle (new) - added it

Fr. Kyle This seems like a good travel book and sounds a bit like the plot of the film Prince of Persia.

Julie Davis That's what one of my daughters said. Which made me put Prince of Persia on my list.

Terry Southard Ordered both today from Amazon - it sounds like the rest of my family might like these, too!

Julie Davis I think you're going to love these!

message 9: by Manny (new) - added it

Manny Even if it was a "mass-recommendation," this does look like a pretty great series! Thanks Julie!