Jonathan's Reviews > Christian Love

Jun 04, 2009

bookshelves: puritan-classics, theology, psychology
Recommended for: Anyone and everyone
Read in June, 2009

"The unity of the world of mankind is dissolved; one is distracted from another, each following their own private inclinations and inordinate affections, which is the poison of enmity, and seed of all discord." p. 3

"The first principles of love would have made all men's actions and courses flow into one ocean of divine glory and mutual edification ... But self-love has turned all the channels backward towards itself." p. 4

"Now, the Lord Jesus having redeemed lost man and repaired his ruins, makes up this breach, especially restoring this fundamental ordinance of our creation and uniting men again to God and to one another. Therefore He is our peace; He hath removed the seeds of discord between God and man, and between man and man." p. 4

This book was magnificent. It said nothing so difficult to understand (in our minds) and yet it said something that changes lives, brings peace, and turns our hearts to God.

In explaining the concept of Christian love Mr. Binning always maintained his focus on Jesus Christ, on who He is and what He did. The Gospel was never far from the picture because it was the picture. (Christian love flows from the Gospel because Christ is the Gospel).

Binning knew the roots of true love and he found these roots in Christ alone. I will be rereading this book for the rest of my life, especially since I am so unfaithful to love God and then to love my neighbor. It is a healthy antidote to my pride.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christian Love.