Erotic Horizon's Reviews > Like Coffee and Doughnuts

Like Coffee and Doughnuts by Elle Parker

Jun 04, 2009

Read in June, 2009

Characters
Dino Martini – The P.I. who travels around in a convertible, love things to go a certain way and has some class to him that surprises even his best friend at times. Dino is also the man with no illusion about how a relationship should work and nothing and no one can make him change is stance – that is until his best got hurt.

Seth Donnelly – Hell on wheels and loving every minute of it. He can be had quite easily and by most anyone and he’s the first one to tell you all this. He’s one thing though, through-out everything he is loyal to Dino.

The Plot

Old school P.I. Dino Martini knows who has his back when he needs backup and his good friend Seth Donnelly has never let him down in all the years that they have been friends.

When he needs a second on one of his standard job – things goes better than expected, but the trouble that follow them leads to all kind of issues. Dino is adjusting to not only a new home but a new office and is not ready or expecting trouble to follow from what should be an easy take.

As the situation develops Seth is put in harms way and all of Dino protectiveness come out of the blue and neither of them are prepared for the repercussions that follow.

Predictability

Yup they are there, however this story line is always a strong one to go with. The opposite nature of the main protags breaks up the predictability and with Dino’s stability coupled with Seth’s hyperactive nature Ms.Parker really made LIKE COFFEE AND DOUGHNUT stand out.

Smut/Ick Factor

From the outset of this friendship as that is what these two guys are to each other, you cannot see them together romantically – they are totally different in mannerism and there whole outlook to life.

However the best things are generally the things you think will never work and these two made it work. I wont say i loved the actually smut in this one, but the build up and the little moments – OMG i loved them.

Seth took the initiative to go after Dino and he never looked backed, he lured, he teased, and we got some up close and personal tension filled moments. Dino was the level headed one of the bunch, and I respected his approach to starting a relationship with Seth – after all Seth was as easy as you can get.

Positive

The blurb firstly attracted me to this book, who can resist an old school detective and a less than orthodox side-kick.

The pace started off a little slow, which wasn’t a bad thing as during this time Ms. Parker shows the dynamics of the relationship between the protags and this certainly helps later on in the book.

The main protags are very likable – Dino – I liked him, he has some style about him that you can’t help but to appreciate, not only does he know which way the cookies crumble in relation to his job but he has an old world charm to him that attracts cute little mechanics and sweet old ladies alike.

Seth – I would like to say a quiet storm but Seth was so not quiet, he was a storm alright and he made as much ruckus as he knew he could get away with. Generally the life of the party with little or no shame and i loved him.

The mystery was enthralling enough and as much as you kinda knew where it was going – I like the fact that Ms. Parker kept true to some of the age old principle of criminals – “Honour among thieves”

I love a good baddie and the little diamond in this was as nasty and as crafty as they come – nicely done by Ms. Parker.

The bulk of this book revolved around not only affection realized but making conscious decisions in uncertain times, however the few side stories that are present in this book all tied in to the main plot which was good, as all road literally leads back to Seth and Dino.

I love a story where the protags have to work to make the relationship happen and believe you me – Seth had to do some smooth negotiation to get Dino to agree to anything. I really enjoy the thrust and pare’ of these two- I could see the future for them.

Support cast will captivate you, not only were they stereotypical but they gave the book that little bit of humour and tragedy that balanced the overall picture of the book.

Bottom Line.

My first book by this author, and i like what i have read. Not only were the characters likeable, but enough of my fantasies were all rolled up in Dino to really enjoy his style. Seth with his bouncy personality and attitude is that adrenal rush that make the book a page turner. I will be adding Ms.Parker as one to watch – I like her style.

Negative

I felt there was not enough development on the background of the main protags – I am not sure i actually missed it until i started thinking about the reason why these guys were the way they were. Ms. Parker has a nice flow with the story and with the angst happening in and around Seth and Dino that to be honest i didn’t really miss the info until the end of the story….

Cover

When i initially looked at it, it looked like any tropical holiday setting. Not sure if it’s because i have a thing for sunset but i like this cover. It conjures up a whole lot of something…

6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like Coffee and Doughnuts.

message 1: by Daisiemae (new)

Daisiemae I wondered if this one was good. I'll be giving this one a try. Another Great Review:)