Jaclyn's Reviews > Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen: How One Girl Risked Her Marriage, Her Job, and Her Sanity to Master the Art of Living

Julie and Julia by Julie Powell

Jul 14, 09

bookshelves: food, memoir, non-fiction, new-york, summer-09-challenge
Recommended to Jaclyn by: a movie preview
Read in July, 2009

This was such a fun book. I think I liked it so much because I went into this expecting more chick-lit than memoir and definitely not expecting a cook book of any kind (not sure why but I think because of the movie previews I've seen - and the somewhat ridiculous concept). I also really liked this because I could totally relate to doing something seemingly irrational, if only to give me a distraction from the things in my life that I would otherwise obsess over (settling in a career that is dissatisfying for lack of better options, and the possible inability to have a baby, all on the cusp of a symbolically important birthday in most women's lives - 30). I also really liked the message of hope that came from Julie's doing something strictly for her own fulfillment which brought about such an unexpected change in her life. I loved hearing about how Eric supported her through this seemingly ridiculous enterprise. To me that's what marriages (and friendships) are about - supporting each other even when you don't always understand.

Julie does a good job describing the complexitites of the many recipies in MtAoFC without going into more detail than (I thought) necessary quite well. Although many seem disappointed with this, this was the one aspect I was concerned about when I started reading that worked out well for me. (I do not like to cook and do not like when recipies get mixed into the middle of otherwise good stories - it's distracting.)

I agree with many of the other reviewers that the stories seemed to jump all over the place a bit erratically and sometimes very distractingly and unnecessarily, but apparently I got over this problem because in the end I decided I really like this book.

I'm curious how this movie will turn out now though because some of the parts I found the funniest and most endearing were her thoughts and actions around the seemingly overwhelming food preparations and her never ending sarcasm (like the bit in the end about people in DC walking so slowly). I've also never read her blog (or even heard of it until I read the book), so maybe that helped me like the book more for just itself since I didn't have any preconcieved notions or expectations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Julie and Julia.