Jessie's Reviews > Still Life with Woodpecker

Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins

Sep 07, 07

I really enjoyed myself. Some of my favorite moments...

Once, Princess Leigh-Cheri used a papal candlestick for the purpose of self-gratification. She had hoped that at the appropriate moment she might be visited by either the Lamb or the Beast, but, as usual, only Ralph Nader attended her.

Behavioral traits such as curiosity about the world, flexibility of response, and playfulness are common in practically all young mammals but are usually rapidly lost with the onset of maturity in all but humans. Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because it has been sober, responsible, and cautious, but because it has been playful, rebellious, and immature.

Who was going to trust an amateur gynecologist? Particularly one whose credentials included the Ten Most Wanted list.

All people who live subject to other people's laws are victims.

Unwilling to wait for mankind to improve, the outlaw lives as if that day were here, and I love that most of all.

Tunnel vision is a disease in which perception is restricted by ignorance and distorted by vested interest. Tunnel vision is caused by an optic fungus that multiplies when the brain is less energetic than the ego.

"...But if you're interested in experiencing the world as a better place, then stay here with me." "Oh yeah? That'd be fine--maybe--for you and me, but how about the rest of humanity?" "A better world has gotta start somewhere. Why not with you and me?"

Those who shun the whimsy of things with experience rigor mortis before death.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Life with Woodpecker.