Mel's Reviews > Watermelon

Watermelon by Marian Keyes

Jul 09, 09

bookshelves: read-2009, chick-lit, nearly-abandoned, made-me-laugh
Read in June, 2009

I almost had to put this one down, likely never to be heard from again, but I decided to power through and I'm glad I did. My problem was the lack characters with ANY redeeming qualities. I don't expect to like every protagonist in a book like this, but generally I can be thankful that she has a wise older sister who sets her straight or a foul-mouthed best friend who sticks up for her no matter what. This book doesn't have any of it. Claire's friends are useless, she's a mess, and her family is just plain dreadful.

Once I decided to stop focusing on my dislike of every single person in the book and just let the story unfold, it got considerably better. For the most part I enjoyed the writing. It was witty and a first person narrative always gives you a personal look inside the narrator's (and likely the author's) head. Occasionally I found myself irritated with Claire and wishing she would stop conversing with her nightgown and just go to bed already so the chapter could end. The conversations in her head with inanimate objects were at times just a little too much for me.

In the end Claire figures it all out, gets her head on straight and left me realizing that, okay, maybe she isn't so bad after all. Who am I judge the actions of the recently dumped? Perhaps I was a little hasty in my initial assessment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watermelon.