Sara's Reviews > The Glass Castle

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

Jun 08, 09

At a recent dinner party, the host pushed this memoir into my hands after mentioning it at least five times. “You must read this,” she declared. “It’s about a family who is dirt poor and her stories are so crazy…you’ll love it” The only thing she had known about me up until this point is that I passionately enjoyed reading. Though I appreciated her thoughtfulness, I do enjoy selecting my own material, but I tentatively put the book the book in my bag. I didn’t pick it up for another few days, and then I proceeded to furiously read and discover probably the best memoir I’ve ever read. The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls is amazing.

Although three out of four of the Walls children emerge remarkably unscathed, the extreme neglect and abuse they were subjected to was abominable. Though their parents were obviously mentally sick, I wished in some way that they were held culpable for any of their crimes against their children, and sadly they never are. The family’s story is told by Jeanette and her narrative voice maintains the innocent perspective of youth, and her memories are both harrowing and touching. If you’re a fan of the genre, it’s worth the read. Even if you don’t like memoirs, it’s hard not to be moved by this tale.

I purchased several copies of the book, and now I am the one forcing it onto family, friends and the occasional near stranger. Read it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Castle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emily Try Change Me Into Zeus's Daughter. I cannot remember the author, but it is another fantastic memoir of dirt-poor people who beathe the odds.

Aurora Agreed - probably the best memoir I've ever read. I often recommend this (I'm a librarian) to customers looking for a compelling non-fiction read.

Sara Thanks for the suggestion and nice comments. I can't say enough good things about this one. Kind of want to re-read it, we'll see.