Jude's Reviews > The Continuum Concept: In Search Of Happiness Lost

The Continuum Concept by Jean Liedloff

Jun 04, 09

a friend of mine had a baby this year & recently reported her positive & amazed adventures with " elimination communication, or, 'tribal baby potty training'. It took me straight back to this wonderful book and reading it the year my child was born 29 years ago. I did not manage to honor or really incorporate much of what i read, mind you, but just knowing, just having a glimpse of how the communal vision of what a child is can radically change what that child can do stayed with me forever.

The only thing i did act on was the permission i got to never let my child cry - to hold her as much and as long and as often as possible. This was the book that told me such a continuum of touch and support and reassurance does not make clingy children but independent ones.

Anyway - two stories stayed forever. A woman standing in line for vaccination steps over to the bushes to let the infant on her hip have a pee. "How did you know he needed to pee?" she is asked. "How do you know when you need to?" she answers.
And this - in the village a circle of huts surround a deep pit with no fence or rail around it, and many huts have a sharp machete outside the door. Once infants can walk - and they walk months before western children - they go freely about the communal space - never falling in the pit, never harming themselves with the machetes...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Continuum Concept.