Allison's Reviews > The Read-Aloud Handbook

The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease

Jun 03, 09

bookshelves: parenting, 2009
Read in June, 2009

I am already an avid reader and my kids, even at the young ages of 2.5 and 1 are already book lovers. So when I picked this book up I was less interested in his advice about reading and more interested in the treasury - the many pages of book lists in the second half of the book. However, I ended up reading the entire book and enjoying every page. I think this is an important book for both parents and educators to read - whether you consider yourself a "reader" or not. Trelease offers solid evidence in support of reading aloud, to both kids and teens, and offers useful advice for creating a read-aloud habit in the family and classroom. The book also offers useful information for facilitating and encouraging good reading habits in children and teens, while still preserving the fun factor in reading.

A favorite quote from the book: "We have time for what we value. The people who find the time to read to a child and to themselves yesterday had the same twenty-four hours as the person who had no time to read, but did watch their favorite team on TV or the afternoon soap they taped, did find the time to talk on the phone for thirty-five minutes, and did find the time to run over to the mall for an errand."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Read-Aloud Handbook.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauriann (new) - added it

Lauriann It does sound good. I will have to check it out. Does anyone still tape soap operas though? I like reading the little kid books right now, but I seriously cannot wait for when they are like in second grade and I can start reading all of my favorite "chapter books" to them. And, as always, I do enjoy a good list.

Allison I know - I am already buying and saving chapter books for later. But Esme is starting to get into some chapter books now - we've read Pippi (3x's now) and Stuart Little. I bet Madison would be ready for some James and the Giant Peach soon, don't you think?

message 3: by Lauriann (new) - added it

Lauriann I too have been hoarding away my favorites. I think you are right, she probably is ready for some longer books, I need to get going!