Ti's Reviews > Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict

Jun 22, 09

it was ok
bookshelves: books-sent-to-me
Read in June, 2009

A lot of readers are calling this book a "sequel" but it is in fact a parallel storyline to Rigler's first book, Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict. In Confessions, Courtney ends up in the 1800's and hilarity ensues. This book tells us Jane's half of the story as she experiences life in a modern day world.

I have to say that I did not enjoy this book as much as the first. I know! I am cringing as I type this but I think I know why. In this book, Jane has to learn how to live in OUR world. This includes working, paying bills, getting frustrated with technology, etc. Since I live that life now, it wasn't an escape for me. Smart phones and DVD players just aren't that exciting when you use them all the time. I want adventure! I want to go to another world and lose myself for a bit. I didn't get that with this one just because of the nature of the story. It's present day, hello!

With that said, I think that Jane's story may have worked better if it had been integrated along with Courtney's. It would have been a good mix of the past and the present. I know that when I was reading the first novel, I often wondered about Jane and what was going on in her world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict.

message 1: by Tanya Marie (new)

Tanya Marie This book was a waste of my time - really a disappointment. I agree with your review.

message 2: by Ti (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ti Tanya wrote: "This book was a waste of my time - really a disappointment. I agree with your review."

I thought the first book was cute, so I was really looking forward to this one but it just fell flat for me.

message 3: by Sue (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sue I agree with your review. I enjoyed the "Confesssions" book more. In addition I also feel that the fortune teller type person is overused.

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) I completely agree with you; it would have been much better if they'd had alternating chapters in one book, rather than a book for each of them.

Alma I agree with all of you, I was so excited to read this one but was really disappointed and couldn't wait for it to end.

I also thought the word countenance was way overused, pet peeve when reading a book and they use the same word over and over.

message 6: by Johanna (new) - added it

Johanna Pichardo Totally agree with you!