Christy's Reviews > The Short Stories

The Short Stories by Ernest Hemingway

Jun 03, 09

Read in May, 2009

Hemingway's true element was the short story and the selection in this collection shows the development of his status as a master in that particular art form. Despite being technically astute, Hemmingway's writing style and stories are definitely an acquired taste.

I personally find it interesting that many people criticize Hemmingway for being unabashedly male and particularly of the classic 'macho' variety. This can be a turn-off for many readers, but I read it as refreshingly honest and true to who he really was as a person. Sure, it might be uncomfortable to know that there are men who really do not -care- what the women around them think or, heaven forbid, feel and even go so far as to distance themselves from female company for long periods of time, but it's real. And that's what Hemmingway's writing is...it's reality...a slice of reality from usually a single 'macho' point of view.

What I enjoy most about Hemmingway's stories is that they make you think...at least if you can get engaged in them in the first place! Rarely did I finish a story with a total feeling of ambivalence and lack of curiosity. Almost always I was left with questions and I think this sense of incompletion was critical to Hemmingway's writing style, demonstrated in his abbreviated sentence structure, staccato word flow and ambiguous sections of dialogue.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Short Stories.