Brooke's Reviews > Luna

Luna by Julie Anne Peters

Feb 02, 14

bookshelves: young-adult, queer
Read in June, 2009

Hmm. Well, I'm glad this book was written because there certainly could be more books for and about the trans community. I did have some issues with this book, however. Some thoughts and some questions.

It was interesting how the mother and father had non-traditional roles (him not working,her working). Im not sure if this was necessary though or really served the plot in any way.

There is this theme or at least a few scenes in which Liam is painted as someone who "can't help himself" from cross dressing, among other things, like at the neighbor's/babysitter's house and goes through their stuff. I think this is an unfortunate stereotype. Yes, Liam can't help that he is trans, but his character is painted as someone who in general doesn't have control impluse, which I found annoying and naive.

Also, just because Liam is trans and is really a girl, doesn't mean he has to be sooooooo girly. Another false stereotype. There are plenty of transwoman who aren't super femme. Liam's character and obession with shopping seems unrealistic and is just perpetuating a stereotype.

The writing was not so hot. The back and forth between the use of "he" and "she" was interesting, but also seemed kind of random. I'm not sure how I feel about it.
21 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Luna.

N0tr3allym3 Wow the fact that you rated this so low was puzzling. But after reading your review it is obvious that you couldn't have read this book. Father did work at Home Depot after being let go from JCP. Liam didn't break in, he was filling in for Regan and got caught. He's not "sooooooo girly". If you noticed he did everything that his father wanted him to do that was typically boyish. I don't believe that Peters is shooting for stereotypical. I believe that Peters is just educating the reader about something that is extremely misinterpreted.
My thoughts, read it again.

Brooke Yes I did read this book.

message 3: by M (new) - rated it 4 stars

M I totally agree with your review: Liam, for me, was too overtly 'girly.' It felt a bit lazy and stereotypical. A great review.

Sanuk M wrote: "I totally agree with your review: Liam, for me, was too overtly 'girly.' It felt a bit lazy and stereotypical. A great review."

Of course Liam was girly. He feels like a woman inside. This is how male to female transgender are supposed to be.

Sanuk Brooke wrote: "Yes I did read this book."

The father was working. It is very clear in the book. I wonder where you got the idea that he was not working.

Guinevere October "This is how male to female transgender are supposed to be"
No, we're supposed to be girls, not some extreme feminine ideal.

Synesthesia (SPIDERS!) Male to Female transgendered people vary like everyone else.

message 8: by Rabbit (new) - added it

Rabbit I dunno, I thought luna/Liam liked what she liked. She made video games and other things... She also longed to participate in stereotypically feminine activities. I'm not sure why there is anything wrong with that.

message 9: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam I think that it is okay having Luna be so girly. Yes, it is stereotypical, but at the same time there ARE trangender people out there that fill that stereotype. After all, it is a stereotype for a reason.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I like your review I felt the same after I read this book