Anarika's Reviews > A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka

Jun 09, 09

Read in June, 2009

It was really flowing... It is indeed funny, highly entertaining and bright! I enjoyed in it, it made me constantly smile.
Through the pages of the book, I learnt to love Nikolaj, Nada, Vera, Stanislav and even Valentina! I wonder how do her high heeled fluffy pink slippers look like?! Ha ha ha ha It is a warm comical book, with some grotesque elements, lots of family secrets.
I imagined a different closing, just because I am soooo romantic. It is still warm and positive.
It could be a good base for a script for a comedy, a film or to be performed on stage (but maybe it would have too many acts then!).

There is History: the life of post war Ukranian immigrants' family life and stories, Russian (I mean the ex USSR!) and European, and the history of tractors.

A story of love, greed, envy, lust, senility, compassion, forgiveness and hope!

And there are the women - Vera and Nada (sisters who love and hate each other), different generations, different life styles, different opinions, their daughters and their mother and grandmothers. And Valentina! The complete opposite of both.

Maybe the moment where I liked it most is when Nada's daughter says to her it is so stupid to fight against her sister over money - it reminds me of me talking to my father about his brother.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian.

06/03/2009 page 147