Lawrence's Reviews > Betsy-Tacy

Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace

M_50x66
Jun 24, 09

Read in June, 2009

This book reminded me of my own childhood --- when the next block was an unknown, when everyone in the neighborhood had a name and an attitude towards kids, when one played without toys and hid in tall grass and visited the woods. It was also a time when children could wander unaccompanied almost anywhere. When home furnishings were not arranged to accomodate TVs and home entertainment centers.

Well, having taken my walk down memory lane, I can talk about the book a bit. Mrs. Lovelace, it seems, had a gift for narrating the relationships of the young, for putting the world into their perspective, and for describing the porous border between the reality of imagination and the reality of home life. At the same time, she does not gloss over the challenges of reality. Therefore, even within the pages of this short book, the characters must deal with death (Tacy's sister, the Baby Bee), and the disruptions caused by birth (Betsy's sister Margaret).

Last, the book is essentially adult from the point of view of its asides --- for example, the description of the gentle manipulation of children by adults when Tacy's brother distracts Betsy and Tacey from disappointment; or how Betsy is farmed out during the time of Margaret's birth.

I think I will read more of this series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betsy-Tacy.