Dana's Reviews > What We Eat When We Eat Alone: Stories and 100 Recipes

F 50x66
Jun 03, 2009

bookshelves: entertaining-nonfiction
Read in June, 2009

This book was surprisingly entertaining. The two foodie authors, when on food related trips with other industry professionals, were in the habit of breaking the ice asking people what they liked to eat when they were having a meal alone. While some responded predictably (chefs preparing scallops or risotto for a solo meal, or ranchers with a "beef-beef-beef" menu) other responses were surprising. For instance, a sizeable portion of people, even well-known chefs or organic farmers, find comfort in canned sardines on crackers, or saltines crumbled in milk. The authors expanded the scope of their "survey" and this book includes stories for and about all types of solo eaters, from college students to bachelorettes, widowers to those who hope to use a well-crafted dish to hook a loved one and never have to eat alone again. The writing is witty and kind, and the recipes are interesting (although I'm not inclined toward canned sardines, no matter how well prepared).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What We Eat When We Eat Alone.