Tatiana's Reviews > Spirit Bound

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010, ya, why-the-hype, tres-annoying, urban-fantasy
Recommended for: I wouldn't
Read from May 29 to 30, 2010

This book is crap and Rose is a shameless gold-digging two-timer.

Yes-yes, I am in a minority here, but it won't be the first time, nor the last. Spirit Bound is a bad book and I am contemplating to remove Richelle Mead from the list of the authors whose writing I care to follow. She can join my black list next to Beth Fantaskey and Maria V. Snyder. I was willing to give VA another chance after the disappointment Blood Promise was, but no more, this series is taking its path into oblivion along with Richelle's Georgina Kincaid books. Mead just can't produce this mediocre mess, destroy her characters for the sake of cheap relationship melodrama and contrived "love triangles" and expect me to eat it up. No, thanks.

Now, for the good. We are back to the cast of characters we came to love in the first 3 books - Eddie, Mia, Christian (As I expected reading Blood Promise, almost none of the million characters introduced in it are back, they have served their filler purpose and now dead and gone). Lissa comes into her own powers and is an admirable person now. Lissa's and Christian's relationship is back on track, which is great because I still have no idea why they broke up in the first place.

Now, for the bad. Where do I start? How about, the only feelings Spirit Bound was able to elicit in me were boredom and mild annoyance?

It is surprising how a book so action-packed can be so thoroughly boring. A lot of things happen in it - Rose takes her final pre-graduation trials, she steals important prison files, she breaks into a maximum security vamp prison, then there is a final altercation with Dimitri. But just like in the latest installment of Mead's Georgina Kincaid series, these events are glossed over, everything happens without much effort, there is no tension build-up before each and every one of them, the characters don't experience too many obstacles and therefore there is no real feeling of something important happening.

Also, the highest point of the book happens at about 300-page mark. What comes after is just added-on drama that comes out of nowhere (is Richelle paid per page?). I just can't believe that this kind of story is what Mead had pre-planned for the series (according to her, she plots her series in advance). If I knew that's the shape the series would take, I wouldn't have bothered to read Vampire Academy.

Another thing. What kind of relationship do Rose and Adrian have? It's not only unhealthy, it's just wrong. What Mead has achieved with it is that now I am all on board with Rose/Adrian pairing in the end (I used to be a Team Dimitri girl), but not because I like Adrian now, but because they would make a mighty good couple: Rose can fantasize about Dimitri while blood-whoring with Adrian (he seems to be just fine with his status of sloppy seconds/doormat) and Adrian can get drunk, continue spending his daddy's money and drag Rose around to parties to get a kick out of his parents and get Rose humiliated by Moroi snobs. What a pair they make!

Then there is Rose's inconsistent behavior (one minute she wants to kill Dimitri, another she will do anything to save him; one moment she is in love with Dimitri, another she is getting it on with Adrian), deus-ex machina (Mikhail anyone? how convenient!); redundant conversations; masked party (what was the point?); miraculous prison break, etc., etc...

I can go on and on with this tirade, but honestly, why? I think I am done with this series. For all I care, the entire cast of characters can die (well, they are sort of already dead to me due to the author's "skillful treatment") and I won't blink an eye. Why, oh why did I buy previous installments? There is no chance I will ever re-read them!
142 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spirit Bound.

05/29 page 1
0.2% "Finally have it in my hands!"
05/29 page 53
10.84% "A bit slow right now"
05/29 page 80
16.36% "So, Rose is dating Adrian but thinking about curing Dimitri and Adrian takes Rose home to get on his parents' nerves. How healthy!"
05/29 page 160
32.72% "This is just boring. Please someone tell me it gets better" 6 comments
05/30 page 345
70.55% "So far, not more than a 2-star read for me, unfortunately." 2 comments
02/22 marked as: read

Paquita Cruz You guys can fuck yourselves !!!! You suck!!!! You don't know what a good book is HATERS!!!!

Kat Kennedy The fans of this book are always so understanding and completely charming. It reflects so well on this series and it's author.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

That post isn't ironic, is it?

Sigh.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

message 5: by Cory (new) - rated it 1 star

Cory Ceridwen wrote: "The best part is how she makes Tatiana plural. Whom is this "you guys" she is referring to?"

Perhaps those who liked the review?

In that case, I'll humbly accept that I don't know what a good book is. If Spirit Bound is a good book, I'll gladly read trash.

Tatiana I only recently cleared out all crazy-ass comments from this review, but it appears it hasn't lost its magnetic appeal yet. If there is an unstable tween/teen girl on Goodreads, she will show up here sooner or later.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I was wondering why a review this old had no comments.

message 8: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH They must have some sort of bat signal to alert them when a negative review has been posted.

Laura the Highland Hussy Good Lord! Who cares if she didn't like the book?
Quite the angry reader there,eh?

Regina Hmm, who is the hater? Perhaps the poster using vulgar language and calling names? Definitely ironic!

I think there may be a bat signal.

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian Vinogradus How could an author go wrong with subject matter as strong as this?

Authors should get out of the way and let these books write themselves.

Rachael Steiger WHAT THE FUCKING HELL, YOU FREAKING BITCH! NO ONE, NO ONE! SAYS THAT ROSE IS A TOWTIMEING BITCH, AND NO ONE DISSES VAMPIRE ACADEMY! YOU JUST DONT DO IT! YOUR A BITCH!

message 13: by Kat Kennedy (last edited Dec 19, 2011 08:28PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat Kennedy You must be new here

Kat Kennedy Also, did some special Troll Signal go out, Tatiana?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow.

message 16: by Kate (last edited Dec 19, 2011 10:17PM) (new)

Kate Copeseeley LMFAO. Kat, you continue to make me scare the baby by laughing out loud. He's going to get a complex, I swear.

And HOLY CRAP!!! Are these people crazy?!?! I have never before seen such behavior. Although, there is a part of me that totally digs someone being this passionate about a BOOK. I mean, that's pretty freaking cool. (Well, not the swearing part.)

Kat Kennedy Sorry, Kate! Hope you weren't trying to get baby to sleep!

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate Copeseeley No, I was only nursing him. It did make him pull off and give me a "Bitch, please!" look, though. Heaven forbid anything interfere with a meal! :)

MsBDiamondDiva1 It is really sad that people can't respect other opinion...and then to call people names about a book. Why not worry about people going hungry? It is sad that respect is not a priority around here...People need to grow up...It is just a book!!!

message 20: by Laura the Highland Hussy (last edited Dec 20, 2011 08:49AM) (new)

Laura the Highland Hussy Kate wrote: "LMFAO. Kat, you continue to make me scare the baby by laughing out loud. He's going to get a complex, I swear.

I agree that it's awesome they are this passionate about books-that's great!!
But they need to use their powers for good. (btw-totally not directed at you---this is for the trolls)

Instead of calling T names, they should tell us why they love the book. Or try to convince me this book is worth reading. Why is that so hard?

It's called a "discussion," let's say it together: Discussion. See? It's easy.
Sigh. But the trolls will never get it, will they?

message 21: by Yaoyao (new)

Yaoyao Lol, I actually really like the series!!

Although, I completely see what you mean about Rose. I think she is really starting to annoy me. She's **incredibly** rude, treats Adrian like dirt and pretty much just uses him whilst stealing his money -and huge sums of it too! What kind of girlfriend does that?! I like both Dimitri and Adrian, but can't for the life of me see how they love her so much!

If I found out my very rude and inconsiderate, quick tempered boyfriend had been secretly stashing my credit card and spending what seems to be thousands or millions of pounds, lusting for his ex-girlfriend whom he wants me to help 'save' and be with forever -after promising me it was over, while risking both my life and all my friends, as well as their careers to do so, and then getting angry at me for not really feeling positive about it all.........I'd probably leave him!

message 22: by avy (new) - rated it 5 stars

avy The book is really good, in my opinion and i really love the series, so i think that you just don't know a good book when you see one. I understand what you are talking about but really if you don't like the book than stop commeting about it and just dont talk about it:)

message 23: by avy (new) - rated it 5 stars

avy what???

message 24: by Laura the Highland Hussy (last edited Feb 08, 2012 01:57PM) (new)

Laura the Highland Hussy Av no one has commented on this review since December. You just negated your own argument of not talking about it.
Why don't you tell us why you like the book?
Or what you liked so much about it?
Don't just come here and tell us what to do. Did you write a review? Say how much you loved the book there.

Kat Kennedy Don't encourage her to write more, Laura!

Anymore bad grammar and I'll get a headache!

message 26: by Keri (new)

Keri What is in the GR's water lately??? I have never seen the vitriol against reviewers that I have seen in the last couple of months. I am surprised someone hasn't gone back and flamed me for some of my 1 star reviews.

message 27: by Laura the Highland Hussy (last edited Feb 08, 2012 03:27PM) (new)

Laura the Highland Hussy Keri wrote: "What is in the GR's water lately??? I have never seen the vitriol against reviewers that I have seen in the last couple of months. I am surprised someone hasn't gone back and flamed me for some of ..."

I can flame you if you want :)
*off to go pick a fight with you on a 1 star review*

Sarah Oh boy you sure are getting some crazy comments on this review! I have to admit that I love this series but you raise some very valid points & I was irritated with the way Rose treats Adrian.

Anyway wouldn't life be boring of we all loved / hated the same things! It's ridiculous to get so upset over someone else's opinion - you have as much right to hate something as I do to love it. Some of these crazy commenters need to grow up I think lol

message 29: by Keri (new)

Keri I know, let me make it easy for you Laura, flame me for Music of the Night by Lydia Joyce...I have never hated a book as much as I did that train wreck. I only have 18 1 stars...so flame away! I love discussing just how bad that book was. Sorry to take over the thread.
:-)

Laura the Highland Hussy I have a DNF/1 star that the author emailed me about how hurtful it was--then he wrote and dedicated a new book to me...it's almost creepy.

I'll go check out your review :)

Eliza Brand Sarah wrote: "Oh boy you sure are getting some crazy comments on this review! I have to admit that I love this series but you raise some very valid points & I was irritated with the way Rose treats Adrian.

Anyw..."

Well said.

message 32: by avy (new) - rated it 5 stars

avy Kat wrote: "Don't encourage her to write more, Laura!

Anymore bad grammar and I'll get a headache!"

Whatever, sorry for not haveing "good grammar" Kat.

Kat Kennedy I appreciate your apology and magnanimously forgive you. I'm glad to see that you've, somewhat, learned your lesson.

In return I won't mention the spelling.

message 34: by pauliree (new)

pauliree I just don't ever seem to get comments on my reviews, shall have to do some more 1 star ones, although I don't get many of them because I see them here and avoid reading the book altogether.

Kat, your previous comment made me snort tea out while I was drinking, not comfortable! :)

message 35: by Angela (new)

Angela I have never seen so much vitriol spouted over a well balanced and constructive review.
Fangirls be crazy.

message 36: by Shelley (new)

Shelley I just had to add to the supportive messages after I read the shocking attacks. I don't know you, but I've read several of your reviews. I may not always agree, and I haven't read this book, but I respect the thought taken to write a thorough review. Oh, and I don't mind profanity, but why don't people get that it's more powerful when used sparingly. After the third fuck I kind of forget the person's point.

Sonja Bjorklund If you don't like the books why do you read everyone of them and keep dissing them??

message 38: by Bethany (new) - added it

Bethany Brown I find it hilarious that you are getting slammed for writing an honest review in an app that (control your shock) is about writing honest reviews! Oh, the horror!

message 39: by Rappelle (new)

Rappelle Good solid review. This is what critical analysis of a text is about. Reviews are not written for ONLY things you enjoy (which alarmingly, judging from some of these comments, some people think). As long as you give a good backing to why X just doesn't work, or why Z had you at your wits end, then I don't see the problem.

I'm alarmed at the vicious language thrown your way.

Here's some advice to anyone who has an issue with a review and screams: "If you don't like it don't read it!!!1!", take your own advice. If this review indicates two stars, or one or whatever, and you can't control your inner hulk from smashing your screen after reading the first paragraph, hit the backspace button. And chill.

message 40: by Ranqu (new)

Ranqu Dang, take a chill pill. Its only a book. No need to get so hyped up.

message 41: by Edna (new) - added it

Edna That is soo not true it is a really good series! Why did you bother read up till then if you don't like it

Karen Nolde Should I take offense to Tatiana's remark about the tween/teen thing because I am a teen and just so y'all know and I am gonna speak my mind here " I LOVED this book just as much as the other books and I still have yet to read the last book.

I think that reason I loved this book just as much is because it was NOT what I'd been expecting

Like #whoa

-Karen <(^_^)>=
Just so u know that is a chicken ..... I think

Karen Nolde Yeah right , Adrian's not all weak smart ass
But Dimitri does seem pretty unstable about his relationship with rose Adrian's like totally in <3 with rose
But everyone's got an opinion about #EVERYTHING! :0

message 44: by Henry (new)

Henry Odera I feel the exact same way. I can't get past chapter 5. It's just too dull and the bringing Dimitri back to life is just annoying.

message 45: by Emma (new)

Emma Thank you for this review, I can stop reading this series now, it seems... blood promise was just awful and knowing it'll only get worse, well, I'm not gonna do that to myself. I''ve only read the books in the first place because I liked the worldbuilding, but the romance annoyed me from the start, so shallow and stupid, bah.

message 46: by Emma (new)

Annwynbeneaththewaves you might be in the minority but at least your being honest

message 48: by Eringirl112 (new) - added it

Eringirl112 You're tacky and I hate you

Morgan Well, I guess her name is Tatiana for a reason. If everyone knows what Rose called Tatiana in a meeting in this particular book then I rest my case.

Tracy Well, I am not a teen. I understand where Tatiana (oh, the irony) is coming from about Rose being inconsistent, but has she ever met a confused teenager? Rose has had very little adult guidance with huge problems throughout all of these books. You can see it in the first book when she makes so many impulsive decisions. Likewise, it isn't until Dimitri explains to her (in book 1) why it's wrong to just fool around with boys that she starts to get it and cleans up her act. I'd think being raised by a school rather than a parent would be extremely difficult. Teenagers love to break rules, and without someone who cares specifically for YOU there's no one to help them understand that the rules are not just arbitrary. Rose is growing up but she is still learning. She gets swept away by her emotions and does not have the insight to sort through them most of the time. That's where it's fun to see her character grow and learn through very difficult life lessons. Yes, she makes mistakes and people get hurt. Who can't say the same about their own lives? If a character is always good or always makes the right decision, it's just not very realistic, is it?

« previous 1