Helynne's Reviews > Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff by Richard Carlson

Jun 03, 09

Read in January, 1998

Richard Carlson has subsequently published several books on more specific "small stuff" issues following the success of this short, simple, but immensely popular gem of a self-help book. But I think this first little wellspring of wisdom is all anyone really needs to build a more optimistic and peaceful attitude toward life. I can honestly say that the simple, logical, compassionate gems of advice in these brief pages really turned a lot of my attitudes around at a time when I was feeling particularly cynical and defeated about my personal life and career. There are many, many precious bits of wisdom in this book, but one that has particularly stayed with me is "agree with criticism directed at you, and watch it disappear." For example, if Carlton's wife tells him he talks too much, he responds with, "You're right. Sometimes I really do talk too much." What more could one say after that? I know this tactic has defused has a lot of situations in my own life that could have become volatile, but did not. Another bit of wisdom: "Remember, in 100 years, all new people." In other words, how important is the annoyance you're experiencing right now when, relatively speaking, you're not going to be on the earth for that long anyway? Such good, calm, logical advice!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.