Zuzia's Reviews > Family Tree

Family Tree by Barbara Delinsky

Jun 03, 2009

it was ok

I was captivated by the plot of the book- white couple gives birth to an African-American baby. Of course, multiple times the thought "she cheated" comes to mind, but that isn't so. Dana doesn't understand how it happened, since she loves her husband so much. The last thing she would do is cheat on him. But of course, Dana's love for him is put into the question upon the birth of her baby. Her family accepts the baby, no matter what it's skin color, but the baby's father's family is the exact opposite.
As interesting as the plot was, the book wasn't. It's very obvious what the conclusion is after a few chapters. Barbara Delinsky's writing is very bland. The book is just incredibly boring. Though it's supposed to talk about the place of race in a neighborhood, and family, the book is very black and white. Of course, Dana's family doesn't have a good history. And of course, her husband's family is the perfect portrait of an upper-class white family.
I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone, because they'd be disappointed like I was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Family Tree.