Jaclyn's Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Feb 01, 11

bookshelves: classics, books-i-own, gilmore-girls, christian, 1001
Read from January 15 to 20, 2011

I have such mixed emotions about this book, that I've been putting off my review; I just don't know what I think about it. I wanted to like it so much because it's such an acclaimed book. I can't even tell you the number of people that saw me reading it and said "that's my favorite book." It makes me feel like there's something that I missed b/c I would not call this my favorite book. There were parts that I LOVED but there were also parts that were very boring to me.

Jane has had a rough childhood, an orphan, living with a family that doesn't want her, she is abused and treated as a great burden. She finally convinces her aunt to send her away to school and her aunt sends her to the worst school she can find. While she is away at school, she is again subjected to poor living conditions and abuse, just of a different kind. She is starved and forced out in the freezing weather with barely enough clothes to keep warm in daily. Through out all this, Jane remains a hopeful and spirited girl who tries hard to please others and make meaningful connections and friendships.

As Jane grows up, she decides it's time to see another part of the country and to see if she can support herself. And we finally meet Mr Rochester. While I didn't mind the story of her growing up years, the ebbed and flowed for me. From almost the moment Jane and Mr Rochester met I was completely captivated by their banter and deep conversations. I loved how Jane handled him when they interacted, and I love watching their relationship grow and develop.

I don't want to say more about the story from here forward b/c I don't want to spoil it, but I do have to say that latter 1/4 of the book was borderline boring, and I couldn't wait for the story to get on with itself and finally end. It took forever to get there it seemed. I have no problem with the ending, and found it to be an interesting and fitting twist.

All in all, I do see why this is a great American Classic, and why it won so many awards. I am so glad I've finally read it, but I don't know if I will ever read it again either. I may opt for Austen instead.

On second thought, maybe I will read it again someday, and knowing the story, maybe I can appreciate the finer points and come to understand why so many love it so much. Maybe I was just too anxious for the end, to appreciate the middle details that did nothing but drive me crazy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.

Quotes Jaclyn Liked

Charlotte Brontë
“Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs.”

Charlotte Brontë
“Prejudices, it is well known, are most difficult to eradicate from the heart whose soil has never been loosened or fertilised by education: they grow there, firm as weeds among stones.”

Charlotte Brontë
“No sight so sad as that of a naughty child," he began, "especially a naughty little girl. Do you know where the wicked go after death?"

"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.

"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"

"A pit full of fire."

"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?"

"No, sir."

"What must you do to avoid it?"

I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”

Charlotte Brontë
“I can live alone, if self-respect, and circumstances require me so to do. I need not sell my soul to buy bliss. I have an inward treasure born with me, which can keep me alive if all extraneous delights should be withheld, or offered only at a price I cannot afford to give.”

Charlotte Brontë
“Yet it would be your duty to bear it, if you could not avoid it: it is weak and silly to say you cannot bear what it is your fate to be required to bear.”

01/17/2011 page 59
11.0% "From pg 56: "Yet, it would be your duty to bear it, if you could not aviod it: it is weak and silly to say you cannot bear what it is your fate to be required to bear."
Helen to Jane"
01/26/2011 page 400
77.0% "I want Mr Rochester back! The story flies when the two of them are together, and drags when they're not. It's dragging a bit right now..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jaclyn oops... I misspelled avoid.