Caitlin's Reviews > The Betrayal of Work: How Low-wage Jobs Fail 30 Million Americans And Their Families

The Betrayal of Work by Beth Shulman

Jun 24, 09

bookshelves: booksforschool, 2009
Recommended for: anyone who interacts with anyone in the service industry (all of us!)
Read in June, 2009

This book changed the way I think about poverty and low wage workers in the United States. Shulman headed a major union for several years, and I find that her background makes her a bit blind to the faults of modern unions. She touts them at the answer to all of America's labor problems, but does not address some of the major challenges unions are facing in this country.

With that disclaimer - this book is a must read. It reads like a novel, and the author really knows how to connect readers to the poor and disenfranchised in the United States. She does a beautiful job of systematically shooting down the myths in the cultural and political realms that have been making an excuse for poverty over decades in this country. I will never look at people who work low wage jobs the same again! She offers wonderful solutions, but I was a bit disappointed because I thought she fell a bit short on explanations of how to PAY for her grand plan.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Betrayal of Work.