Mariel's Reviews > The Blue Sword

The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley

Jan 23, 11

Recommended to Mariel by: black
Recommended for: blue

Robin McKinley's The Blue Sword blue me away. (What can I do for swords?) I don't know how to handle the feeling in a review. I'm in it to the hilt. It's sheathed in my memory.... No, I got nothing! (Blue words!) (Stop it, Mar!)

Reading that someone likes world-building and atmospherics doesn't really convey why I thought this was awesome so I won't try and be a normal reviewer for once. McKinley knows what she's doing. She's a master(sword bater!). This is not a glorified fanfic. All of those things are true. I'm not good at the basics. I know why I loved this even though I've forgotten a lot of the details. I won't even try to get those down right because I'll be (pre)destined for failure. (Stop saying what you aren't going to do.) (When someone says they aren't going to do something it often means that they are going to do exactly that.)

It was the lay of the freaking land. Community in the force that surrounds us and binds us Yoda shit. And I believed it. I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff in stories 'cause that's when I get to dream it for myself. McKinley was as good at that. It's like the sword handle behind the story that made it much more than a story. Like when you're living the story in your head as you are reading and forget everything else. (If only all stories did this!) It really did matter to me if she found her place.

Harry didn't belong anywhere and then she falls in love (with a life) and beyond everything fall into place - it's worth fighting for. I already said that. That's what I remember feeling! That's why I beam at this book when I see it on book shelves. "You know!"

I kinda wish that would happen to me, still. I haven't forgotten what it feels like to want to get connected like that little green man with the glowing blue sword talked about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blue Sword.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

My sword isn't blue.

Miriam Woad can take care of that little problem.

message 3: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Hah, Miriam!

I loved this book, too, but not as much as THatC. Maybe because I read THatC first and had already dreamed about that so much? But I love how you explain exactly what this book means to you while stating that you don't know how to explain what this book means to you.

Mariel hahahah like when someone says they aren't going to do something and then do it! It's fate.

Miriam I read this first, which makes THatC cool in a different way.