Adil's Reviews > Heat

bookshelves: 9th-grade, advisory

Heat
Mike Lupica
240pgs

Heat was a really fun book to read and I relly enjoyed it because it was about baseball,rising against all the odds, tackling life's problems, and doing what you were born to do.

I give most of the credit of this great book to Mike Lupica's unique writing style. Unlike other sports who like to give all this background information and create a long introduction to the story, Mike Lupica gets right to the middle of the story and gradually gives facts about the protagonist as the story continues.

The story mainly about Michael Arryo, a cuban immigrant living in the Bronx with incredible pitching talent and a strong heart. Right from the beginning you can tell Michael's had a hard life because his mother died of cancer, his father died of a heart attack, and the government is on the hunt to put both Michael and his brother in a foster home.
Michael's goal is also clear from the beginning: Win a little league world series and join the NY Yankees.

I relate to Michael because I also grew up in NYC watching baseball and I've been playing it most of my life. After reding this book, it made me realize that nothing is impossible and you can always do something if you put your mind to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heat.