Aquit's Reviews > Blue Heart Blessed

Blue Heart Blessed by Susan Meissner

I picked up this book expecting it to be the same old repeated theme: jilted bride gets jilted by groom and suddenly find love after a couple months of therapy. Well, believe me, it's not that kind of theme.

Daisy is a 29-year old woman, who one year ago ten days before her wedding, her fiancé Daniel told her that he couldn't go through with the wedding. Daisy then opens a shop call Something Blue to try to sell her dress and is still in the process of self-healing and understanding what happen to her.

It sucks to be rejected; we all know it and Daisy definitely knows it firsthand. She was rejected by Daniel, her ex-fiancé, and she is still feeling the effects of what remained of their relationship. You cannot understand the blackness of rejection until you yourself experience it firsthand. I think I was drawn to “Blue Heart Blessed” because, yes, I too have been rejected by several members of the opposite sex. It’s not a pretty feeling; you don’t feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Instead inside your little head is bleak, dull, and you want everyone around you to suffer just as you are suffering no matter how selfish and childish that feeling is.

Even after one year, Daisy is still questioning her beliefs and her status. It’s different from other books because she dosen't decides abruptly she doesn’t love Daniel anymore because there’s some hot guy waiting for her. She falls out of love with Daniel as the book proceeds because she realizes that she cannot remain in love with someone who does not love her back. That she have bigger dreams than a wedding dress--she has to live her own life. She goes through a trial of questioning her ex-relationship with Daniel, her own self-worth, her faith in people and in herself, and if she’s willing to open her heart again to a man.

Daisy and Ramsey are drawn to one another because they have one thing in common: rejection from someone they loved. Ramsey’s ex-wife divorced him one year ago when she left him for another man because she was carrying that man’s baby. I can’t imagine being a man married to a woman who, not in one day, but over a course of time tells me that she wants a divorce and that she’s been having an affair and yes, she’s carrying that man’s baby. My ego would be torn apart—not to mention my heart.

This book is not based on a romance relationship but more on Daisy and Ramsey’s path to healing the wounds inside their hearts and learning to love again. There are a lot of miss-understandings between Daisy and Ramsey but it’s not uncommon. Both are just learning to go out back into the world again and trust isn’t something they give lightly. I wished that Meissner would had focus more on Daisy and Ramsey’s relationship after they realize that they were able to connect so deeply because of their past. She just jumps from one timeline to another timeline—and yes, it’s disappointing but I understand that it’s the healing and finding one’s path in the world again that she wants us to focus on, not the relationship.

Overall, it’s a great read—I read word to word without skipping for the first time in the longest time. It’s one of those good-books that you just have to read when you come out of a broken relationship since there’s a lot of “Oh, that’s good” lines in this book—especially since they come out of a priest’s mouth and from Harriet, the resonable side of Daisy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Heart Blessed.