Tatiana's Reviews > Impossible

Impossible by Nancy Werlin

Apr 26, 10

bookshelves: 2010, ya, fairy-tales, ala-ya-2009
Read in January, 2010

This book pleasantly surprised me. I've heard many good things about Werlin's other works, but "Impossible" received mixed reviews from my reading buddies.

The book started out rocky for me too, at about page 70 I was ready to retire it and move on to something else. The tone of the book - sort of a fairy-tale flare in describing events set in a contemporary world, the mix of folklore with reality, the fantastical madness, the Elfin Knight, the basis of the novel on a folklore song (I've never heard of "Scarborough Fair" before, BTW), the rape, the pregnancy - all that seemed like too much of a stretch to me, too weird. However, after taking a break from the book, I continued on and ended up being completely taken by the story. Even the tone of it grew on me. I liked the portrayal of love in the book, both family love and romantic love, the idea of unity against evil and ultimate triumph of love over any kind of adversity - both real and supernatural. There was a lot of intensity and passion in Werlin's writing, a lot of skill. So much so, that in spite of the fact that the fairy-tale ending was totally predictable, she still managed to keep me in suspense and angst over the outcome until the very end.

I realize this book is definitely not a crowd-pleaser, and it probably won't be the one that I recommend to most of my friends, but I totally fell in love with this modern day fairy tale with all its weirdness. And I will definitely read more books written by Nancy Werlin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Impossible.

01/14/2010 page 35
01/14/2010 page 100
26.6% "A bit weird so far..." 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hannah Looking forward to what your thoughts are on this one, T. You always write very well thought out reviews.

Tatiana Oh, you are too kind:) I see you weren't too impressed by it, but I've already started it, so no turning back...

Hannah Tatiana wrote: "Oh, you are too kind:) I see you weren't too impressed by it, but I've already started it, so no turning back..."

It's good enough to keep you reading to the end, but sadly, it didn't find it riveting.

And I'm not just blowing smoke up your ---, I always enjoy your reviews, even if I don't read all the books you review!

You have a very good review ability that I envy. I'm too subjective in my reviews, but you are more fair and balanced and look at it from all angles, which makes a good review.

Tatiana I never thought I was objective, but if this is how my reviews appear to be, fine with me:)

I enjoy your reviews very much too. And if there is extra lurve or hate in them, that's what makes them more entertaining IMO:)

Hannah Tatiana wrote: "I never thought I was objective, but if this is how my reviews appear to be, fine with me:)

I do my best. When I gush, I geyser-gush. When I snark, I try my best to make it snark-worthy. I'm still proud of my Frankenstein review....might just print it out and frame it for my wall - lol!

Heather Good review. Though I loved Rules of Survival by Werlin, I doubt I would find this one appealing. Now, if she had written a book about "Sound of Silence" or "the Boxer", I might change my tune as those are the only Simon and G song's that I like. :)

Tatiana I know nothing about these folk songs, naturally... I'll definitely read "Rules of Survival" though.

Heather OMG, you have to hear Sound of Silence. Granted, now whenever I hear it I think of my accounting classes cause my prof looked like Garfunkle and it pretty much set the tone for that class, aka, purgatory.

Hello Darkness my old friend, I've come to talk with you agian....lol

Hannah So you liked it? I wasn't too sure you would. I actually had the opposite reaction from reading it in that I liked the first half much better then the second half, which was just to "out there" for my taste.

Glad you enjoyed~ Nice review.

Tatiana I was surprised myself that I liked it. It really grew on me...