Sara's Reviews > America's Queen: The Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis

Jan 25, 10

bookshelves: 2010, non-fiction, biography
Recommended to Sara by: Sixth Floor Museum
Read from January 22 to 25, 2010

I read that this is the definitive biography about Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and whoa, is that ever true! The book is massive and crammed with details and quotes from interviews with those who knew her. Despite the book's size and depth, however, it is completely readable and engrossing. The beginning of the biography, giving Jackie's family history, is peppered with almost too many names, details, and relationships to keep straight, but after this part, it became much easier to follow and kept me captivated until the last page.

There is a LOT of detail that went into this book, and I loved how the research was so thorough. Jackie comes across as a woman with many facets to her personality, and all the different ways she coped with what life threw her amazed me. I never knew much about her, aside from seeing photos from the days of JFK's presidency and hearing small bits and pieces about her life relating to him, but this biography really shows that there was so much more to her than the role she played in the press. I found this biography to be very neutral in the way she was portrayed, showing both positive and negative aspects of her personality; overall, she comes across as a regular human being with flaws like the rest of us, not the princess that the news seems to have made her out to be. On a related note, this book also does a great job explaining how she became so adored by the public.

While this is definitely not a book for casual readers, it is one of the best researched and well prepared biographies, in general, that I have read. Transitions are flawless, the writing is smooth, and all sorts of details and events are covered. For anyone interested in Jackie's life, this is an excellent book to check out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read America's Queen.