Amber's Reviews > Wifey

Wifey by Judy Blume

Feb 06, 12

bookshelves: lady-fiction, creepster
Read in June, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Oh holy crap. Wow. That was pretty great. This is as close to a romance novel as I will ever get even though it was pretty spectacular. Was this really what 1970 was like? You're 33 and married with two kids and dudes from all over want to bone you? You get obscene phone calls and every guy you meet wants to "do it" (italics original) with you? Will that happen to me when I'm 33? It sure isn't happening now. Is it just because everyone was a swinger then?

The great thing about Judy Blume is that she is dramatic but fair. Her books for kids, young adults and adults (dirty, filthy minded home-making adults) are a little exaggerated (unless this is seriously what it's like once you hit your near mid thirties) but never end in a totally wrapped up package. Protagonists learn lessons but don't get off easy (I thought about it and the pun is not intended, but what would Freud say?). Sandy is in a crappy marriage with a dude she doesn't love or even really KNOW, she has 3 affairs in just a few months one of which gives her GONORRHEA, and then when she tells her crappy husband about it he slaps her and she hides in the attic for a night and all this culminates in them a) deciding to get to know each other and themselves (HOW 1970s!!!) and b) reaching a super sweet compromise in which she shaves her pubic hair & he attempts again to go down on her (this time without dry heaving for half an hour!).

The book is hilarious but it gets depressing when you relate to Sandy. This woman hardly makes decisions for herself and when she does she gets the clap! Don't you ever feel like that? It's like an explicit version of something that would happen to Marge Simpson! Like, you decide to stand up for yourself but it doesn't go well. At all.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wifey.

06/03/2009 page 24
06/04/2009 page 134
46.21% "Dirty! I hope no creepsters are reading this over my shoulder on public transit!"
show 1 hidden update…