Namratha's Reviews > The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me

The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me by Roald Dahl

Jun 01, 09

bookshelves: childrens-fantasy, classics, young-and-restless
Read in May, 2009

I imagine myself curled up in a squishy bed surrounded by a trio of tiny-tots. As I read aloud, their attention is captured. The scruffy l’il boy stops tugging his sister’s pigtails. She in turn stops sticking her tongue out and making rude noises. And the third one unglues himself from the fascinating sight of the family-dog licking itself, long enough to get hooked. *Hypothetical Happy Place*.That’s what Dahl’s kiddie-books do to you.

And this banana-yellow covered book is one more of his ludicrous tales. Who else but Dahl would think of a ladderless window-cleaning company being assigned to a trio of animals? So we have a giraffe (whose long neck makes ladders redundant)...a pelican (with a nice deep beak to hold the cleaning water) and a sprightly little monkey (to do the actual wiping and polishing).

Flaky? Yes . Fiendishly clever as some other Dahl Books? No . And yet…it is endearing in it’s simplicity.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me.