Rane's Reviews > The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever

1987431
Aug 29, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: regency-napoleonic-era, historical

At the tender age of ten Miranda Cheever fell in love with the brother of her best friend; Viscount Turner, with his act of kindness to a awkward growing girl, Miranda never forgot his words that day to her and kept a journal with her thoughts of love since then. Now years later the once kind and caring Viscount Turner, Nigel Bevelstoke is left a bitter and cold hearted man after his wife ripped all his dreams of love and family to sheds with her numerous affairs before her death.
To return the once precious gift of a young girl and a second chance, Miranda seeks to heal Turner’s heart with her love.

A relaxing read, with nothing heavy or dark and a pretty predictable storyline that doesn’t have surprises jumping out at you at every turn. It true JQ fashion, there’s a lot of humorous parts that will have you smiling. Miranda was a fun and strong female lead, holding her one-sided love close to her heart. With her shy sense of humor and sometimes surprising temper, I could really relate to her as both of us keep journals of our sometimes-mundane lives and events. She was levelheaded and knew what she wanted and fought for it, but was also sensible to know when to step back.

I didn’t care for Turner; he never once came across as a tortured hero only very bitter and shallow. I can fully understand why he was the way he was after his first disastrous marriage. For me, he kept that as a shield and super-imposing his first wife onto Miranda, even when he knew she was nothing like his first wife at all and loved him deeply. He acted like a child then went hiding out and then running away from the truth. He was very much a coward in my eyes and only when he was going to lose Miranda did he “finally” see he loved her.* face plam *

The plot pretty much kept pace with it only dragging toward the end and the steam level was lukewarm at best.

The saving grace for me was the interactions between Miranda and her best friend Olivia as they go through life making their way through the ton.

Overall: a cute read, that did make me shed a few tears at the end as Miranda finally gets her love of her life to return her love.
12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever.

message 1: by Dina (new)

Dina Great review, Rane! You pretty much confirmed my decision to pass on this book.

Rane Dina wrote: "Great review, Rane! You pretty much confirmed my decision to pass on this book."

*laughs* Yeah, it's a toally pass unless your dying to read it or just a hardcore JQ fan

Karen Sorry you didn't care for this one. I agree with you about Turner. The next one is much better if you're up for it. :-)

Rane Karen wrote: "Sorry you didn't care for this one. I agree with you about Turner. The next one is much better if you're up for it. :-)"

It's okay, the ending did though get me a little teary-eyed
I couldn't stop laughing at "what happens in london" it's one of my all time faves, I love WHIL way more then this book

BJ Rose You covered my feelings about this book, Rane!

message 6: by Rane (last edited Aug 30, 2009 05:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rane BJ Rose wrote: "You covered my feelings about this book, Rane! "

*laughs* hit the nail right on the head BJ?
Yeah, Turner let me down and the urge to kick his a** was strong!

Eastofoz This was my first JQ book and I figured that she wrote everything like that. Thankfully I gave the Bridgertons a try and saw how much better she could do. Turner killed this story if you ask me.

Rane Eastofoz wrote: "This was my first JQ book and I figured that she wrote everything like that. Thankfully I gave the Bridgertons a try and saw how much better she could do. Turner killed this story if you ask me."

*nods* I just couldn't find anything to really like about Turner