Sieanne's Reviews > Stern Men

Stern Men by Elizabeth Gilbert

U_50x66
Jun 05, 09

Read in June, 2009

I didn't expect much when a friend gave me "Eat, Pray, Love" but ended up really loving it, so when I found "Stern Men" at a book swap I was really excited to get into it, especially since I have spent quite a bit of time on the Maine coast where she took her inspiration for this story.

Like many other reviewers I really did like the character of Ruth and identified with her in a lot of ways, there is also some very good descriptive writing in here, especially settings.
BUT, much of the time this story drags and I would find myself skipping over (not something I normally would do) some of the family histories, conversations between characters, and events on the islands because it was so tedious.

Just when things really start to get interesting near the very end of the book it just ends and you find out the most important events of Ruth's life the in the epilogue.

All in all not a terrible read, I do like Elizabeth Gilbert's writing, but disappointing in that what could have made the story great was glossed over in the epilogue.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stern Men.