Orrin Grey's Reviews > The Dylan Dog Case Files

The Dylan Dog Case Files by Tiziano Sclavi

Jun 01, 09

bookshelves: comics, favorites
Read in May, 2009

My first exposure to Dylan Dog came in the form of the movie Cemetery Man (aka Dellamorte Dellamore), which was based on Dylan Dog about as loosely as one thing can possibly be based upon another. Nevertheless, it was enough to pique my interest when, years later, I got the opportunity to read the various American printings of the Dylan Dog comics (with Mike Mignola covers!)

I was blown away. I'd heard good things about Dylan Dog (there's a thumbs-up from Umberto Eco right there on the cover), but I hadn't gotten my expectations up too high, and the comics surprised me. They're funny when they try to be funny, sad when they try to be sad, and even touching when they try to be touching. They're also surprising, sometimes, and very, very tied into a certain vein of horror cinema.

Unfortunately, they've not been in print in the United States for quite some time. So when Dark Horse released an omnibus edition of the seven volumes they'd previously brought out (to coincide with the upcoming release of Dead of Night, which sounds like it's at least more closely based on the source material), I snapped it up. On re-reading the stories, I wasn't disappointed in my previous memories of them.

Also, as a warning, this thing is a tome. When I say it contains seven volumes, I don't mean seven issues of the size we're used to seeing here in the States. It's probably close to two inches thick. About the only downside I can see to The Dylan Dog Case Files is that I wish it had contained some sort of introduction giving a little background on the series. Still, it's a great, cheap way to get some great comics, and I recommend it highly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dylan Dog Case Files.