Cathy 's Reviews > The Accidental Human

The Accidental Human by Dakota Cassidy

May 31, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal, romance, read-in-2009, vampire, werewolf, twitter-author
Read in June, 2009

Somewhat more substantive than the first two in the series. Maybe because the emotional crisis of the main character is more relatable, since I can imagine how it would feel to be told I was dying more easily than being told I'd become a werewolf or a vampire. But I'm guessing it's also because the author had a friend who really did die of the same disease. She doesn't say that, but book 2's dedication said something encouraging to a friend who was clearly ill (I noticed but don't remember the exact words) and this one mentions a friend who's fight was well fought and encourages all women to see their docs and protect their health. So I was reading into it a bit, but there was certainly a bit more story this time. But... it would have been better served with at least 1/3 to 1/2 less chicklit banter. You know, the witty wordplay found in womens lit books that are oversized and cost twice as much as regular paperbacks? I like fun wordplay, but it's really overdone in this series and especially in this book. Wanda is presented as a formerly conservative sweater-set type, so words like sistah and evah just don't feel appropriate or funny. It's just too too much. That said, the romance is sweet, and the relationship between the 3 friends is the heart of the series. Good rainy day books that I din regret reading, but not keepers for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Accidental Human.