Ruth's Reviews > The Actor and the Housewife

The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale

Jul 23, 09

bookshelves: fiction
Read in May, 2009

From the first improbable meeting of the 7 months pregnant Mormon housewife, Becky, and the married Hollywood heartthrob, Felix, it was like at first sight. The two became BFFs, to the bewildered bafflement of all who know them; they talk on the phone at every opportunity, and visit each other as often as they are able. In spite of the differences in geography, social position, religion, family, income, and morals, they form a friendship that neither can bear to give up, though they both try at different points. Over the course of eleven years, their relationship endures through births, sicknesses, divorces, deaths, and even tabloids. But the incredulity of the world eventually makes even Felix and Becky wonder, can a man and a woman ever have a truly platonic friendship?

I love Shannon Hale, and ended up staying up late into the night to finish this; it made me want to laugh and cry, and, mostly, it made me think. I did wonder a bit in the middle where exactly she was going with all this, but found myself loving Becky and Felix too much to care. The ending, such as it was, did surprise me a little, but after a little thought, I guess it was right for both of them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Actor and the Housewife.