Torrie's Reviews > The Great Gatsby

May 31, 09

Recommended to Torrie by: Teacher
Recommended for: Anyone/Everyone
Read in March, 2009, read count: 3+

** spoiler alert ** I strongly disagree with all of those who say that this book has no deeper meaning, or they couldn't find anything in it. And to those people that say it was bad - I'm sorry, but if you think this was bad then there is no way that you can appreciate good writing. Even though I was technically 'forced' to read this in eighth grade, I went crazy over it. Even now, when I think of it, I sort of melt inside. I have a soft spot for it. It is amazingly written. Throughout the book I have highlighted passages that are spectacular. This book gives insight, and if you look hard enough, it can change your life. I have read it numerous times, annotated and discussed all the true meanings of everything that happened in this novel. The Great Gatsby is now one of my favorite books.

The reason that it is considered one of the Great American Novels is because of the underlying theme of the American Dream. Everyone in this story is seeking the American Dream - the ability to rise from nothing and to achieve wealth and happiness. The two main characters Tom and Daisy seem to have achieved this dream, but in reality they are slowly breaking apart. They are careless people that can do whatever they want just because they have money. Meanwhile, Gatsby also seems to have the American Dream because he has risen from just being James Gatz to a multi millionaire. However, all he really wants is Daisy. Both of these people try to go back to the past, which they learn is impossible - and it has consequences. And in the end, Daisy is able to escape from all of her problems because of the high standing that she has in society. Her carelessness and selfishness pulls people down, but she just keeps going.

I highly recommend for everyone to read this novel. But please, please do not read it literally. You have to imagine yourself in Nick Carraway's house, looking out at the mansion with the freshly cut lawn. You have to see that green light blinking at the end of Daisy's dock and feel the separation that has been tearing Gatsby apart for years. F. Scott Fitzgerald makes this possible through his writing. All that's left is to experience this amazing book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gatsby.