Kristen's Reviews > The Jungle Book

The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

May 31, 2009

bookshelves: 1001-books-before-you-die, action-adventure, childrens, classics, short-story
Read in May, 2009

No this is not your Disney movie - Kipling wrote a fantastic series of short stories, only a few of which include Mowgli. Baloo is not a lazy idiot, Kaa is not a bad guy, SherKahn is killed rather then run off, the wolves are not always the noble good guys... this is VERY different then our cotton candy Disney film. And so much more enjoyable for it.

Also included are the tales of Rikki Tikki Tavi, the Elephant Dance, and the White Seal. I would have to say that my favorite is Rikki Tikki Tavi, he's just so loveable and wonderful. There is a sense of magic in Kiplings animals, every reader will find themselves dreaming of being raised by wolves and taught the law of the jungle by Baloo.

I know that this was written as a children's book - but I have a hard time believing that my 11 year old son would be able to read and enjoy it, the beauty of the language will be lost on many of the younger readers who are used to the forward speaking newer YA books. But I would assume that by middle school they should be able to fully enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jungle Book.

02/14/2016 marked as: read

Nandakishore Varma I agree 100%. Disney castrated the story.

Sally Rikki Tikki Tavi is a magnificent hero. I love him!

Roxzanne I agree that this book is fantastic and far more enjoyable than the Disney adaption. But I disagree that an 11 year old should find this so challenging. This book was given to me as school gift back when I was around that age (I might have just turned 12 years old) and I had no problems at all with it. Some of the names like the "bandar log" (monkey people) I thought were just fanciful made up names, I didn't realize they were taken from Russian etc, but it never took away from my understanding of the book or the enjoyment. It was more of a fun revelation later on. I re-read it multiple times, and particularly loved the story of the white seal. I also read a review where someone bought it for their 9 year old daughter and apparently she took to it the same way I did.
I would say, if the child already has a fondness for reading you should have a little more faith in their ability. See what reading level they are at and don't be afraid to challenge them a little, they might surprise you! :D xx

Levon EVHS Gevorgyan Hey, if you want a good movie version of this story, check out the Russian Mowgli with subtitles. It is very beautifully animated, and it is almost completely loyal to the story. Baloo is a wise, if gruff teacher, Kaa is a cunning, old mentor, Bageerah is an energetic(female) master ofthe Jungle, and Mowgli is a badass.

message 5: by Omkar (new) - added it

Omkar No wonder P L Travers wasn't a fan of Walt Disney. With jungle book, He shoved his head in the sand, found sugar and poured so much of it over this classic that you would get diabetic.

message 6: by Omkar (new) - added it

Omkar Are you talking about Shonen Mowgli Lenon?!?

Megan Oh gosh, you just ruined this a little for me. Should have marked this with spoilers? Sheer Khan dies???

Reneè I'm ten and I've read and adore this book I definitely think that this book is for all children in addition can be enjoyed by all ages.