G (galen)'s Reviews > The Complete Maus

The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman

Jun 02, 2009

Read in June, 2009

More than a holocaust tale, this is the autobiography of Art Spiegelman, American-born son of holocaust survivers, as he tries to record the events of his parents. About half the book is a firsthand account, told by his father, of the descent from a normal life in Poland to the horrific existence of life as a jew under the Third Reich. But that is only half the story. Art shows us the difficult relationship he has with his father (a stingy tense old man), the gapping hole left by the suicide of his mother, how he is haunted by a brother he never met who died in the war, and his own ambivalence about whether or not he should even be attempting to write such a narrative. (And to make it a comic no less!)

It was powerful, humorous, terrifying, and heartbreaking.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Maus.

05/31 page 14
4.73% "(v.2)I can't even make any sense of my relationship with my father, how am I supposed to make any sense of Auschwitz, of the Holocaust? -Art"
05/31 page 16
5.41% "(v.2) I feel so inadequate trying to reconstruct a reality that was worse than my darkest dreams..and trying to do it as a comic strip! -Art"
08/21 marked as: read

Remy I think this was my first non-superhero graphic novel. Probably the same for a lot of folks