Margot's Reviews > Going Vintage

Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt

Apr 03, 13

bookshelves: ya, review-books

Watch for my upcoming review in the Deseret News.

Completely fun, with a relateable, realistic teen main character who had me laughing from the start. Just the right amount of toe-curling romance. No sex.

Attention authors: if you think you must put sex in a YA novel to make it believable, please read this book. PLEASE.

I've read way too many YA novels where the author sticks sex in for no real reason. It's as if they are saying: I need to make my book modern and relevant, so therefore there must be sex. But even if it's handled discreetly, there are hardly any stories that are made better by including that. Be relevant and modern in a way that IMPROVES the characters and story. Why take the risk of alienating a whole section of readers, who find such inclusions squirmy and uncomfortable, just for the sake of being "relevant?" I challenge you to find a better, truer way.

Despite the Cosmo polls or whatever, it's not true that all teenagers have sex, it's not true that they all want to read about teenagers having sex, and I've yet to find a teenager who disliked a book strictly because there was no sex. Yet the opposite is true. Why limit readership?

**rant off

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Vintage.