Jennifer's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Jun 03, 09

Read in June, 2009

An epistolary novel written just post WWII, this novel has everything I personally like to see in a novel: Solid writing, humor, strong characterization and a fascinating plot. This book, since I started it has demanded my full attention, forcing me to set aside all other currently reading novels/bios until I'm finished.

The story is centered around the main character, a London columnist named Juliet who unexpectedly becomes interested in the Channel Island of Guernsey during the German Occupation of them. One of her priorly owned books falls into the hands of a Guernsey man and he's so impressed he writes to Juliet to ask for additional information on the author having found her prior address written in the book. Thus begins the link that ties London to Guernsey to Germany to America and back again. Through the new owner of the book (Dawsey's) letters, Juliet and us the readers get an informal history lesson of the German occupation of Guernsey. We experience the curfews, food shortages, the Blitz in London, and just simpler stories of how such and such met so and so, local gossip. It's a well crafted story and I can't set it down.

I highly recommend this book!!