Charlie's Reviews > The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

Jul 02, 09

bookshelves: classics
Read in June, 2009

Huck Finn, frightened of his drunk father, fakes his own death and runs (floats) away on a raft down the Mississippi. Jim, a runaway slave goes with him. The book is less of a "boy's own" story than Tom Sawyer and more of a study of the people of the river and the attitudes to slavery, whilst still remaining an exciting adventure.

Jim wants to be a free man, but Huck is constantly troubled by the idea that he has stolen Jim from his owner, the widow, who was nice to him. He feels that was a bad thing to do. At the same time he enjoys Jim's company and values him as a person and has trouble turning him in.

I liked Huckleberry Finn better than Tom Sawyer, the only thing that brings the score down from 5 to 4 stars for me is an odd complicated bit where Tom reappears just before the end and the whole thing gets a bit surreal as they play act a big "boy's own" style prisoner escape scene.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Charlie I have just found out that one of the places we'll be visiting on holiday this year is Hannibal, the town where Mark Twain came from. I've said I'll at least read Huck Finn before we get there as I am ashamed to say I have never actually read any Twain.