Rachel's Reviews > Pretty in Plaid: A Life, a Witch, and a Wardrobe, or, the Wonder Years Before the Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smart-Ass Phase

Pretty in Plaid by Jen Lancaster

May 31, 09

Read in May, 2009

I liked this book more than her other books. While her other books are funny, I always felt like I was reading about a persona more than a regular person. Sort of how in real life stand up comedians aren't exactly how they are on stage. Her other books seemed like a technicolor version of her life. Close to the truth but more colorful. This book seemed more genuine and while time really started to fly by at the end there, a more complete look at her as a person.

I had hoped to learn more about: the foreign exchange student who lived in their house for 3 years, how her last 5 or so years of college went and a little more about her parents. But it was a collection of essays so not everything made the cut.

All of Jen Lancaster's books are quick, light reads, easily read in a single afternoon (preferably on vacation) and this one was no different.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty in Plaid.

message 1: by Veronica (new)

Veronica I heard her on our local NPR station since she's from Chicago and thought her snark was way over the top. It really turned me off. But after your review, I'd give the book a chance.

Rachel This one wasn't too snarky, more poking fun of herself.