Emily's Reviews > Strength in What Remains: A Journey of Remembrance and Forgiveness

Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder

May 02, 2010

Read from April 25 to 30, 2010

What a great book - inspiring and informative. This is a biography of a Burundian man named Deo. I had no idea that Burundi had such similar Hutu/Tutsi genocides going on - it seems that politically they were very involved with Rwanda and one country played off the other. This book deals with Deo's experiences growing up in 1970-1995 Burundi, during the second wave of violence.

I liked coming to understand the political situation as a child might - at first having no idea and slowly coming to a clearer realization of what had been happening around him. We switch back and forth between past tense Burundi and present day New York City for much of the novel. Deo struggles to eke out an existence in a city where he doesn't speak the language. We see him strive for greater things, bigger things, and moving towards forgiveness.

A beautifully written book, at times hard to read because of the violence. A really worthwhile book and satisfying read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strength in What Remains.