Ryan's Reviews > Animal, Vegetable, Miracle : A Year of Food Life

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle  by Barbara Kingsolver

Aug 27, 09

bookshelves: food, memoirs, favorites, americana
Recommended to Ryan by: Kellidee
Read in August, 2009

Highly enjoyed and savored this book. It's beautifully written, very inspirational, and makes me wish I had more than a windowsill to grown a garden. I now look much closer at where my food comes from, and I shop at farmer's markets as often as possible (it was an occasional habit before), trying to buy at least one thing from each stand to support them. I would say it's a favorite. I'll always keep a copy on hand to reference, and I'd recommend it to others. I've used recipes from it.

BUT (and it's a big but) I really, really wish that Barbara Kingsolver would shut up with her incredibly uneducated and uninformed views of vegetarianism. She was choosing to become a locavore - it's just as much of a dietary life decision as becoming a vegetarian or vegan. And it is quite possible to do both. She certainly spoke long about not eating meat from CAFOs, which is a great start. I honestly felt like she spent a bit too much time trying to defend the fact that she's not a vegetarian, and it started to come across as a guilty defense. Not every vegetarian/vegan makes that decision because they think animals are cute, which she seems to think. There are numerous health, environmental, and ethical reasons, which I'll not get into. And I'm sorry, but calling vegetarians hypocritical for eating vegetables that might have been harvested with machines that might have killed an animal in the field underground or who take antibiotics that kill viruses is just ridiculous. IT'S NOT THE SAME FREAKING THING.

I just felt like the book should have been about her forward thinking decisions in becoming a completely devout locavore, and that it was hypocritical for her to criticize the eating decisions of others at the same time. So this gets 4 stars instead of 5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle .

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Kellidee I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book!! Ok, enough dorkiness. Thank you for the reading recommendation. I just ordered a copy off of amazon. I'll let you know what i think!

Susie I had the same reaction to BK's preaching about vegetarianism. It soured the book for me.

Caroline Doesn't she make her own cheesse? That's got to earn her like .33 of a star back!!