Sera's Reviews > The Graveyard Book

Jun 14, 09

bookshelves: children-ya, kindle, own
Recommended to Sera by: Dini
Read in June, 2009, read count: 1

Overall, I liked this book, and I'm pleased that I had a chance to read something by Neil Gaiman. However, I only gave it 3 stars, because compared to other YA that I have read, I found the story to be pretty average, especially in regard to the Harry Potter similarities that lacked the same type of spectacular twists and surprises that Rowling had provided in her books.

The Graveyard Book held my interest, and I liked the concept of Bod being raised in a graveyard while a killer still searched for him to finish the job that he had done on Bod's family. However, the final confrontation lacked any real drama for me, and I found that the whole "who's my master?" approach to the ending to be rather safe. I found it disconcerting to have a scary book end in such a non-scary way.

Moreover, the premise of why Jack killed Bod's family is fairly weak. The whole concept of "the Order" is not explained very well. What's the big deal of this Order? Why is it so important that Bod's family was killed? Plus, the need to kill Bod's family came to Jack in a dream? Again, as the story climaxed to its conclusion, my zeal for the book began to erode because the ending of the book didn't live up to everything that came before it.

With that said, I think that readers might want to check out Coraline if they want to read Gaiman instead of The Graveyard Book. Again, The Graveyard Book is a decent read, but I've seen the movie Coraline, and the story moves along as it should. As such, the book should as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Graveyard Book.

06/08/2009 page 1
0.32% "Starting this one this week on my Kindle."
06/09/2009 "I'm through the first 3 chapters, and I really like the story."