Ellyn's Reviews > Accidentally on Purpose: The True Tale of a Happy Single Mother

Accidentally on Purpose by Mary F. Pols

Jun 08, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in January, 2009

I'm not sure why I love the random memoir so much, but I do, and this one was no exception. Mary Pols is a single woman approaching 40 and feeling unfulfilled and a bit depressed about it when she accidentally becomes pregnant after a one night stand with a man 10 years younger than her. She bravely forges ahead, has her son, Dolan, and creates a life for the two of them, surrounded by friends and family and most importantly Matt, Dolan's father, who turns out (surprisingly) to be an excellent dad and co-parent. The author drove me crazy at times -- I wanted to tell her to stop nagging Matt and start looking at how lucky she was to have him around -- but I have to give her tons of credit for being so completely honest. She really puts herself out there, and she comes across as very real as a result. The book also focuses on Mary's family relationships and the deaths of both of her parents shortly after Dolan's birth. It's a quick and enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Accidentally on Purpose.