Kiirsi Hellewell's Reviews > Wings

Wings by Aprilynne Pike

Mar 07, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Read in May, 2009

I reallllly wanted to like this book. The first 5 chapters on the internet piqued my interest. I really wanted this book to be good!

But it didn't happen. It started out with a lot of promise: home-schooled teen girl starts high school, is a bit of a loner, and gets befriended by cute boy. So far, so good. I saw a lot of potential conflict in how the girl would react to her new, more public life. (Especially since I was mostly home-schooled myself up till college.)

But...that's about all there is to the book. 4/5 of the way through it's still the girl and the cute boy, with a bunch of nothing happening in between. I hate to say it, but it's true. Yes, she finds out something very unexpected and shocking about herself, and meets another cute boy (who is much more interesting than the high school boy). And there are bad guys. But the main villain is barely hinted at two or three times in the book so when he finally gets some action, it really felt like there was no preparation for all that he revealed.

Here's what I wanted, after finishing the book: I felt that most of the book could be condensed and become the first 5 or 6 chapters, and the "climax" part should occur much sooner, with a much cooler climax later on...also that much more story and plot and things happening to really drive the story along should be filling up the bulk of the book. Instead, I felt that this book was not edited very well (lots of typos...and I was getting fairly tired of seeing "her eyes filled up with tears" every other page), the characters were pretty flat, and there really wasn't much happening, beyond one or two chapters. There wasn't much sense of time, either...I had a hard time following time flow; I continually wondered if a conversation or meeting was taking place on the same day as a previous one, or a different day or week. The faerie aspect could've been really cool but it was barely touched on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wings.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bigfanfortamani I agree with what you have thought on this book, but I was so intrigued I searched for more;feeling it was spread too thin, and I found that it was the first book of a series of four. Now I have finished all four, I am pleased with the content and I would re-read it so many times in the future and I cannot wait to compare the books to the films when they are released! My advice is to read the other books and hopefully then will you be satisfied. The first one is called wings, the second one is Spells, the third one is Wild, and the fourth-Destined. Enjoy!