Ellyn's Reviews > Louder Than Words: A Mother's Journey in Healing Autism

Louder Than Words by Jenny McCarthy

May 30, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in January, 2009

Because I work with parents of kids with autism, and Jenny McCarthy's name is out there in the autism world, I thought I should read this book. In all fairness, I have to admit that I went into the book expecting to thoroughly dislike it, and I wasn't disappointed. For one thing, Jenny McCarthy is a terrible writer. She swears far too much, and much of the book feels like an irrational, self-centered rant. Granted, I don't have kids, let alone a child with autism, so maybe I shouldn't judge. One thing I can say for sure, though, is that having a child with autism does not make Jenny McCarthy an expert on how to treat autism. Her book is based on Google research and her own experience (which she freely admits), and she makes no effort to look at the scientific research behind any of the autism treatments. Her son sounds like he's doing amazingly well, but most kids with autism don't make that kind of progress that quickly, and most parents don't have the resources that Jenny McCarthy does. Much as she tries to paint herself as a normal parent, she's not, and I wish she would admit it. (Most parents can't buy a hospital-grade heart monitor or get a next-week appointment with one of the nation's top specialists or hire a private plane to get back home.) I would never recommend her book to a parent, not even just to read about another parent's experience with autism. Not only is it not helpful, but it's potentially harmful because it promotes the idea that vaccines lead to autism. There are much, much better books out there!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Louder Than Words.