Sunflower's Reviews > Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Jun 03, 09

bookshelves: fiction-read-2009, historical-fiction
Read in June, 2009

** spoiler alert ** A novel about two women, (well maybe three if you count Mrs Danvers,) a man, and a house. The house dominates. The two wives are each other's polar opposites, and the narrator, unlike the first wife, is only ever known as "Mrs de Winter". She goes from one overbearing employer, to a marriage with a man who treats her rather the same, until quite late in the story. She spends much of her time daydreaming, convincing herself of her inferiority, submitting to her husband, and really is a far less interesting character than the dead Rebecca. But my sympathies lay with her, even though at times I thought she was really perhaps a little too overdrawn in the mousey department.
Four stars for being entertaining, well written, true to its time in history, and still a good read even though it is 70 years old now.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebecca.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by zespri (new)

zespri my sentiment too Sand - have never actually read it though feel i have!

Sunflower Would you like me to Bookcrossing it to you when I've finished it?

La Petite Américaine The Rebecca character actually scares me more and more every time I read this book ... how she goes from perfect to evil... I love du Maurier, she's so twisted. :) Have you read My Cousin Rachel??

Sunflower La Petite wrote: "The Rebecca character actually scares me more and more every time I read this book ... how she goes from perfect to evil... I love du Maurier, she's so twisted. :) Have you read My Cousin Rachel?? "
No, I'll put it on my "check it out" list!