Rachel's Reviews > Wonder Woman, Vol. 2: Love and Murder

Wonder Woman, Vol. 2 by Jodi Picoult

May 30, 09

bookshelves: comic, fantasy

I've never been a huge fan of Wonder Woman, but see, that's how far I will go for Jodi Picoult. She's the only author who's ever acutally made me cry. (It was My Sister's Keeper that did it-anyone else have that reaction?) So I'm a pretty big fan of hers. I was excited to hear that she would contribute a story for the Wonder Woman comics, making her one of the first female writers of the series.
Since this is the second installment, the comic took me a while to understand. While there was a good introduction, it still took me a few pages to get the characters all sorted out, along with the basic plotline. (Then again, maybe I'm just a little slow...)
Once it got going, though, I was interested. Wonder Woman becomes fully human as she struggles with anger, mistrust, loss, and betrayal. She may be descended from super-humans, but dealing with humanity can really be a headache, which I can completely understand... ;)
I enjoyed, too, the usage of the mythical Amazons. I've always had a soft spot for Hippolyta, since one of my friends played her in A Midsummer Night's Dream, and we discussed her origins and background. (Shakespeare totally dumbed her down, BTW. Ugh.) I don't know if that's an original part of the Wonder Woman story, but I really don't care, because it was really fun.
The dialogue, the artwork, and the storyline are all exciting and eye-catching, so much so that I'm thinking I'll stay with this series to see where it goes, even though Picoult won't be writing the next one. **sad face**
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder Woman, Vol. 2.