Rachel's Reviews > Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris

Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris by R.L. LaFevers

Once again, 11-year-old Theodosia Throckmorton is confronted with the sinister cult "Serpents of Chaos" and must use her wits and vast knowledge of Ancient Egyptian magic and curses (her father is, after all, the Curator and her mother the resident archaeologist of the Museum of Legends and Antiquities, and Theodosia most often spends her days ferreting out all the cursed artifacts in the museum's nooks and crannies, since her parents very often will forget about her). This time, though, she must deal with her annoying and stuffy grandmother's attempts to coop her up with evil governesses, while figuring out why mummies are randomly showing up the museum's front lobby, while dealing with the legendary staff of the Egyptian god Osiris (who may or may not have been a myth), chase down an ancient statue come to life and creating havoc throughout London, and a rogue cult's sudden decision that Theodosia is the reincarnated ancient Egyptian goddess Isis.

LaFevers once again filled the book with adorable early 20th century English charm and childish fun, such as a scene when Theodosia is putting together a charm to catch a rogue spirit that seems to have escaped from it's mummy body:

"Once I'd swept the floor with the broom, my next step was to cleanse the air with holy smoke or incense. This was tricky because I was specifically prohibited from using lucifer matches, but how else did one get holy smoke than by fire? It had taken me quite a bit of thinking to work out a solution to this one, but I finally decided a mist of perfume from my curse-removal kit would work, it being the next best way to fill the air with cloying scent...I had bought something called 'An Evening's Enchantment' (even the name was perfect!)" p.273

I thoroughly enjoyed this book right up to the ending, which contained a plot twist that I hadn't seen coming and almost had me in tears-almost. Even better than the first installment-I can't wait to see what comes next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris.