Christina's Reviews > My Brother Sam Is Dead

Jun 02, 09

bookshelves: 9th-grade-advisory
Read in May, 2009

by James Collier total pages:216

The book My Brother Sam Is Dead by James Lincoln Collier takes place during the time of the Revolutionary war. Tim and Sam"s father Tory is on the British side although he against the war. Tim isn't sure what side he is on. On the other hand Sam is a rebel and decides to fight on the American side. After time passes Sam leaves to go fight in the war and Tory died because one day he was coming home from buying cattle and he gets captured and put into jail and eventually dies from disease. Tim and his mother are both concerned about Sam but they have to keep their lives going and Tim helps his mother manage the house.
After years had passed Sam hadn't come back and the family gets news that he was captured and murdered because he had rebelled against what his father had thought about the war. Tim and his mother now had to deal with the loss of Sam and Tory. Tim still hasn't chosen a side yet but it doesn't matter because he isn't going to fight in the war anyone. After the death of his father and brother all Tim really does is mourn for them.
The main topic of this book is the Revolutionary war. These people didn't really exist but the Revolutionary war is the main focus the story. Tim most have had a hard time surviving without his Father and his brother Sam but his life still had to go on and he had to provide for his mother and for himself and get themselves through these tough times and mourning the death of their lost family members.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Brother Sam Is Dead.